Are you looking for ways to refresh your home? Or have you just decided that you’ve had enough of your bland grey walls? Maybe you don’t want to deal with repainting your entire house? One of the best solutions to these problems are accent walls. In the 80s and 90s, beige was all the hype and neutral colors were preferred. Nowadays, however, pops of color here and there make your home feel modern and stylish. Many people are ready to make a bold statement with bold colors and textures. In comes the accent wall – it makes a statement and when chosen correctly can make your room feel cozy and super modern. So, we have gathered the best accent wall ideas for living room and we are ready to share them with you.
How to choose the right wall?
So, how do you choose which wall will serve you best as an accent wall? Very often people choose the wall they see first when they come into a room. However, that doesn’t always have to be the case. You can choose a wall whose architecture somehow differs from the rest. Furthermore, if you have a fireplace, it should definitely be the focal point of your room. Accentuate the wall with tiles, to make it look even more interesting. How you are going to decorate the room is also very important. Consider that before choosing an accent wall, as well. If you are planning on having a large navy blue velvet sofa, for example, accentuate the wall behind it. Solid walls without windows or doors are preferred, because the color can distract form the view, for example.
Accent wall ideas for living room with texture
What is the best color for living room walls?
Once you have picked the wall, you can go on to choosing the color. The general rule is to pick a color two shades darker than the rest of the walls. However, nowadays there are so many accent wall ideas for living room with different textures, tiles and wallpapers, so you are free to choose. What’s more, choose a color that compliments the rest of the room – your sofa, your rug, or your curtains for example. Don’t over-do it though. If you use the same color for everything that you want to accentuate, then you won’t have just an accent and it will be distracting. Opt out for different shades of the color, instead, or choose a color palette beforehand and mix the colors.
Velvet sofa, rug and accent on the wall
How many different kinds of accent walls are there?
Too many would be the answer. You have so many options to choose from. Don’t be afraid to be creative and use everything at your disposal to create stylish and interesting accent wall ideas in your living room.
- Textures and fabric. As you can see in the pictures above, accent walls with fabric go well with a beautiful sofa made from the same fabric, for example. This is quite an innovative idea. So, every guest could come in and gasp at your amazing accent wall. Tone-on-tone textures are also very interesting.
- Brick walls. As we said, brick walls are always a good idea for the fireplace wall. However, they can be used to accentuate a wall in a more rustic style home just as easily. They make your home feel cozy and give it warmth.
- Marble, tiles and stones. Another unique and out-of-the-box idea. Marble gives your home elegance and makes it look very posh and stylish. Stones and tiles can be very artistic, when arranged geometrically for example.
- Wallpaper. There is a plethora of wallpapers out there. 3D wallpapers are a big hype right now. Floral, skylines of famous cities, breathtaking views or ones referencing pop culture, it’s up to you. The good thing about wallpapers is they are easily removable. So, whenever you get tired of it, just change it, or paint over it.
- Photos and works of art. Beautiful abstract paintings are always a good idea for an accent wall. If you can’t commit to just one, arrange a few smaller ones in an interesting and abstract way. Same goes for photos.
Beautiful brick wall hallway with a pixelated painting serving as an accent wall
Brick accent wall makes your home feel cozy and brings warmth
We also have something for those of you, who don’t really want to spend a lot of money on paint. Just get some washi tape or just plain colored scotch tape and you are free to create an accent wall with any type of pattern in any shade of color you want. DIY accent wall ideas for living room are very easy to find and to do.
DIY idea for an accent wall with scotch tape
Beautiful out-of-the-box accent wall with marble and greenery
Rustic decor with a brick accent wall
The New York skyline is always a good view
Accent wall with wooden tiles creates a homey feeling
Glow in the dark stick on wallpaper
Geometrical design connecting the wall to the ceiling
Pop culture reference accentuates this brick wall
Geometrical accent wall ideas for living room
Tone-on-tone accent wall design
Lights, incorporated in fabric for a unique accent wall design
An all black tone-on-tone-design
Use mirrors to create the feeling of a larger room
Mosaic accent wall design
Wall made of stones
Lights and texture create a stunning 3D effect
3D wallpapers are very trendy
Simple black and white design
Accent wall in an industrial style
Rainbow colored wallpaper gives off a fun and relaxed vibe
Grey and gold geometrical patterns
For the lovers of the ocean