Have you recently bought a new home? Or, maybe, you are looking to redecorate? Many people pay more attention to the interior design, rather than the exterior. It, however, can be just as important. Especially if you live somewhere where the climate is good all year round. We live in the 21st century – a time, in which people tend to be very stressed. That is why, it is very important to have your own space, where you can relax, meditate, read a book, or just sit and contemplate. And your garden is the perfect spot for that. Now, some people, are not very fortunate with the space they have for their garden. That is why, today, we are going to show you some pretty amazing small garden ideas. With them, you will be able to turn your backyard into your very own relaxation spot.
Now, decorating a small yard is not very easy, but there are some creative things you can do to make it look bigger. Furthermore, you will be able to fit everything you want if you just plan ahead. Just because you have a small backyard, doesn’t mean you need to compromise with pool or nice garden furniture, for example. So, what are the small garden ideas to follow if you want to have an awesome backyard?
- Built-in seating – not very difficult to do. Instead of having separate garden furniture taking up your space, opt for built-in seating instead. Add a few cushions and pillows and you are all set.
Stunning small garden ideas
2. Plant trees in pots – Instead of having trees taking up the space and growing big and tall, get some decorative trees and plant them in pots. That way, you know exactly what you are getting, and even if you have to get a bigger pot after some time, you can easily move it around to free up the space.
Beautiful example of a small patio
3. Light it up – Granted, the backyard pictured below is a bit bigger, but, trust me, for some people this is a small backyard. In order to get any backyard look bigger all you have to do is install lights pretty much all around it. This creates the optical illusion for a bigger space.
Lights everywhere is one of the best small garden ideas
4. Add levels – Level your backyard, add some steps and you will create the optical illusion of more space. That way you can use the different levels for different purposes. One can be used for your garden furniture, the next for flowers and the third for trees. It is up to you, really. If you want to keep it simple, however, you can simply use patches of grass on each level and you will get a very nice minimalist look.
Levelling creates the optical illusion of more space
Minimalist style for your backyard
5. Strings of lights – same as lighting up the whole space. Strings of lights over your backyard create the optical illusion of more space. Furthermore, they bring a very cozy feeling. The light coming off of them is less, so the dim lights will definitely add to the romantic nights with your SO.
Strings of lights over the hot tub – talk about romanticism
6. Squeeze in a little fountain – even if you don’t have enough space for a swimming pool, a little fountain goes a long way. The sound of running water is notorious for making people feel calm and at ease. So, a water fountain in your backyard is sure to make it your number one relaxation spot.
Small garden ideas with a fountain
7. Plant a living wall – if you don’t have enough space for lots of greenery and flowers, a living wall is the way to go. It is quite simple, just find an empty wall and add plants to it. Naturally, you need plants in your backyard, in order to be able to make it feel like a garden. So, if you don’t have the space, living walls can have some intricate designs and are quite pretty to look at.
Living walls are trending this spring
Lights from top to bottom – creating the illusion of a bigger space
Built-in furniture under the trees – perfect relaxation spot
Go simple with your garden furniture
Add cushions to your built-in furniture
Enjoy the view with lots of seating space
Swings are another great option
Small fire pits bring a lot of coziness to your garden
Patches of grass – easy upkeep and natural look
Small ponds will make you feel as if you are in a monastery somewhere in the Himalayas
Create your own zen spot
Who says you can’t have a pool and a hot tub in your small yard
When you have a view of the London Eye, you need to have a beautiful place to relax and enjoy it
Are we in the forest?
Fireplace for the cold evenings
Small garden ideas – surrounded by nature