The art of drawing has been around since prehistoric times. Archaeologists still uncover different cave drawings showcasing the life of the First Men. Naturally, people have developed this way of expression and have turned it into actual art. Nowadays there are so many different ways of drawing and painting, it might be difficult for an artist to find their own style. Despite all of that, though, one style seems to be taking over the world. Which is why, today we are going to focus specifically on how to draw anime in particular. We have prepared some step by step tutorials, as well as some drawings to get inspiration from. So, even if you are just a beginner and are wondering where to start, we believe in you. You can do it!
How to draw anime – tutorial + pictures
What is the difference between anime and manga?
It is worth pointing out the difference between these two styles. Anime is the animated version, while manga are just still images. Therefore, anime can be watched on TV, like a cartoon, while manga is similar to a comic book. Although some people argue that anime and manga can be just Japanese, there are a few anime shows, which are produced in the USA, but are still considered anime. Same goes for manga.
Now, in this article, we are going to consider each drawing of an anime or a manga character, as an anime drawing. What’s more, these drawings are very recognisable by their specific style, which we are also going to discuss.
Drawing of Dragon Ball characters – one of the most famous anime shows
What makes anime unique?
Anime has a very distinguishable style. When drawing anime, there are a few rules to follow. Most importantly, the exaggerated features:
- Eyes. The eyes are always large and take up almost half of the character’s face. What’s more, they usually contain black circles in the middle with coloured outside rings. The colours can also be exaggerated, some eyes, for example, can be purple.
- Hair. The anime hair is usually in a very strange, unnatural shape. The characters’ hairstyles are always exaggerated and, once again, the colours can vastly vary.
- Facial expressions. Facial expressions are conveyed in an interesting way. For example, teardrops in the eyes is a sign of embarrassment. Facial expressions are strongly exaggerated, making the characters very expressive.
Naruto is another very popular character
If you are a beginner and are trying to learn how to draw anime, keep in mind that you can learn, but you have to practice. Don’t give up! Furthermore, the good thing about anime drawings is that you can turn anything into an anime. Even your own self-portrait. So, we have prepared a few step-by-step tutorials for beginners, which are going to help you get started on face, body and facial expressions. So, if you keep practicing, we bet you are going to get better and better. Enjoy!
How to draw anime
These step-by-step tutorials focus on the face, which, as it turns out, is pretty easy to do:
- Draw a circle and add a cross in the middle – this will keep the face symmetrical.
- Start by shaping the face – you can choose the shape you want.
- Then draw the eyes, while using the cross as a balancing point.
- Draw the ears and neck and don’t forget to use the cross for symmetry.
- Continue with the nose and mouth
- Finish with the hair, which can be designs to your liking.
How to draw anime face
Here’s a video tutorial on how to draw a girl face
Animated anime drawing
Another great drawing of Naruto
Colours are another exaggerated feature of anime
Anime girl drawing
How to draw anime eyes expressing different emotions
Look at this little anime cutie
Gorgeous pencil anime sketch
Now this is a stunning drawing
Easy anime drawings
Watercolor anime painting
How to draw an exaggerated hairstyle
- Draw the elliptical shape and add a cross for symmetry.
- Draw the eyes, while keeping in mind where they are positioned on the horizontal line of the cross.
- Continue with the nose and mouth, once again considering the vertical cross line.
- Keep going with the neck and ears, while shaping the face.
- Add details to the eyes.
- Add the hair.
How to draw anime boy
Video tutorial on how to draw Goku from Dragon Ball
Different examples of hairstyles
How to draw anime lips
Another tutorial on how to draw anime step by step
How to draw hand gestures
How to draw anime characters according to their age and height
Video tutorial on how to draw facial expressions
Draw anime step by step
How to draw anime body
Detailed step-by-step tutorial
Anime boy hair
Different stages in drawing anime eyes
Girl drawing easy
Anime drawing ideas
How to draw different facial expressions
Cute anime drawings
Learn to draw anime
Anime girl face
Draw anime step by step
How to draw manga
Even the simplest black and white pencil sketches look super expressive
Pennywise – The Dancing Clown, the character from “It” turned into an anime character